Friday, November 7, 2008

October Catch Up

Here are some of our October highlights:

This is a praying mantis that was in our front yard. Scruff loves to play with bugs and can even catch flies without harming them (sometimes), but he didn't touch the praying mantis. I wonder if they are poisonous?

Here is a picture I took in the Hong Kong airport... who could resist taking a picture of a square toilet? Notice I caught it in mid-flush... I was trying to conceal the click of the camera, so no one outside of the stall knew I was taking a picture... unfortunately the flush didn't conceal the flash, and I got some strange looks when I came out of the stall.

This is my favorite picture of the month... It's Vijaya paying our electric bill. In America most bills come and are paid by mail. In Hyderabad they are hand delivered and you have to go to the billing office and pay them (with cash). I've never actually paid the electric bill myself, I've always sent the money with Vijaya or our driver. The meter reader came to our house and told us that last month our electric bill was lost (aka the meter reader was afraid of the dog) and we needed to pay the bill right away. Mohammed (the driver) was driving Scott, so I took Vijaya and drove her to the "billing office". The "billing office", it seems is a group of about 5 men with plastic chairs and a small hand held computer sitting on the side of the road under a tree. I felt weird about giving these guys 5000/- rupees, but then I realized I've unknowingly been giving these men cash for years and our electric has never been turned off.

Here is a picture of the I.S.H. Science Fair.

I'm really proud of the fair because it was my idea, and I put a lot of work into it.

Here is Mr. Gallinger with some of the kids.

Four of my favorite people. Reena, Padmaja, Sue and Sarah.

Three of my favorite people... me, Padmaja and Sarah.

Each display was unique and the kids had so much fun making and showing each experiment. There were a few favorites, but I think whale blubber, and how a t.v. works stole the show.

The fair was a little cramped... next year we'll have more room because we will know a little more about what to expect.

I can't believe what a bad mom I am... I didn't get a picture of John in front of his display.

He did the 'Science of Laughter' display. Did you know that a scientist who studies laughter is called a gelotoligist?

Did you know that it is impossible to tickle yourself?

Here is a display on smoking and what it does to your lungs.

Maya is such a cool kid.

Lawrence and the Optical Illusion Display.

I think the fair was a success and I hope we can do it again next year.

Here is a picture of us at the F-cafe... John tried so hard not to blink when the flash went off that his eyes went cross.

Scott and meat... or is it "Meat" my husband... or is it... "Is that beef!?! Where did you get that steak!? Tell me now and no one gets hurt!!!" Sorry... it's the last picture we took in Hong Kong, but think of all the yummy water buffalo and goat we get to eat here in Hyderabad.

Halloween at Ellaa Suites... My Darth Vader is the middle one.

Greta's family along with my family hosted the Hash Run last Sunday. The Hyderabad Hash House Harriers are known as a drinking group with a running problem. Ed, Greta, Maggie, Dave, George, John and me were the hares... this means we are the ones that set the course. It was a run/walk that lasted about 2 hours. It went through some of the villages around us, through a construction site, and through the cement factory. I think it was a very interesting run... especially the part when John and Edward were lost in the cement factory. They were only lost for about 20 minutes, but it was something they won't forget for a while.

After the run we all gathered on the street and driveway near my house. The hares who set the course for the first time got their Hash names. This is a nickname that you will be called by at all future Hash Runs. George is now Curious, Maggie is now Toilet Roll (sorry, not "3-minute Maggi noodle"), John is Dr. Bare Foot, and I am Both Sides (I drive in India as well as America).

On Diwali John and I went to a party at my friend Anita's house. Scott stayed home to calm Scruff down from the firecracker noise.

Diwali is such a savage celebration. I think the fireworks in India would be illegal in most countries... so here is a picture of my son playing with some.

The kids were having so much fun... so you know it was dangerous.

Nothing goes better with dangerous fireworks than dancing... the pictures came out a little blurry, but I think it captures the moment better.

Here are the beautiful Erhart girls dancing.

Ed and Greta.


A fountain of sparks.

Kids playing with fire... good times.

Sue and Jim.

John with the house burning down behind him... not really.

Here are some pictures of our streets the morning after.

This photo doesn't come close to capturing the amount of mess left behind from the celebration... I still don't know what we were celebrating. I think it has something to do with surviving dangerous situations and not going deaf from loud explosions.

On one of the days off 5 moms and 10 kids went the the Hyderabad science center. They don't allow you to take pictures at the museum... not because there experiments are top secret, but because they are completely embarrassed. The I.S.H. science fair offered a better experience.

After the Science museum we took the kids to the museum of modern art... not bad. Although we still couldn't take pictures and the boys laughed at every naked form they saw.

After a day of culture... we had the KFC experience.

Here are some of the moms.

Here are the kids.

I thought I would throw in a picture of my gorgeous husband.

Guess what these kids are looking at? This is right next to our house.

It's a monkey! They are not as common in Hyderabad compared to other parts of India like Jaipur and Hampi.

Here is Mr. Banana-head (the kids named him) behind our Tata Sumo Victa.

Goodbye from Mr. Banana-head.

1 comment:

inim said...

fyi...Electricity bills in India can also be paid online..You'll need to check with your bank for more details... India is a mix of varieties, catering both to illiterates and tech savvy people :-)