Monday, December 29, 2008

Cooking


So a British friend of mine told me that all Americans have this ridiculous notion that a conversation should start with the word ‘so’.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I was feeling creative today and decided I would like to make some Jamaican Jerk Chicken. I set up the ingredients in the kitchen so I could pretend I was a television chef…they always have their ingredients in neat little bowls set up for them…It’s obvious to me they are not the ones washing the dishes. It makes sense for them to do this because they can continue to face the camera and talk as there is no need to walk back and forth to the pantry or fridge.


So I have everything lined up and ready to go when John (my son) calls me needing some help on a math workbook he was working on. I went upstairs to help him. Meanwhile Vijaya came in (Vijaya is our cook/personal assistant/ nanny/ laundress). She sees the ingredients lined up in the kitchen and asks me what I would like for her to make? I told her I was out of practice and wanted to do some cooking on my own.


So I now have a sullen cook.


So there I was happily cooking and she kept looking at me out of the corner of her eye and making minor adjustments to everything I did. The pan was exactly 1mm to the left of where she felt it should be. The spoon I was using to stir the ingredients was the wrong size. The mixing bowl I was using was plastic and I should use the glass one. I should wear an apron when I cook. The flame was too high. I was not standing with my feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent…okay not the last one, but she did scold me when I fed a scrap to the dog.


So I had an epiphany… I have now changed Vijaya’s job title from cook-personal assistant-nanny-laundress to Mother-in-law! **

**Please note that I love my Mother-in-law and she would never behave this way.

No comments: