Monday, April 28, 2008

Taco, Milk, Mart

What I Miss
I recently took a brief trip back to the U.S (This might explain my inactivity on the blog). I have noticed a trend when ex-pats travel back from their homelands... When they get back to Hyderabad there is a kind of depression that settles on them. I've noticed this for some time now and always thought it was part of the jet lag process. Now I think this is not true... I think the moodiness is a sort of mourning process that we go through. Not for people, but for the things we cannot get in Hyderabad that we can get in our homelands and other places. There are a lot more things available here all the time, but there are some things you just can't get. An example would be Starbucks coffee. Yes they have coffee places here, but they sell powdered, over sugared, over flavored coffee drinks in thimble sized cups and usually do not have ice for blended drinks (best to stay away from the ice anyway). If you ask for plain, or black coffee they look at you like your speaking a dead language and tell you that it isn't possible as they do not have a button on the cash register for plain coffee.
My husband and I made a little game called, "If you could bring anything back with you what 3 things would it be?"My answers were:
Target/Wal-Mart
Taco Bell
Milk


I thought it would be interesting to put this on the blog to see if anyone reading the blog would like to play? What 3 things do you miss the most about your homeland? Or what would you miss if you left your hometown?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I moved to a town so small it doesn't have a Wal-Mart...but it does have a herd of deer that wander freely, and we often have one or two sleeping in our front yard in the summer. I'd miss them for sure if I had to leave here.

The other thing my town has is a burger joint right out of the 1950's, called Tastie Treat. Man, their hamburger sauce is somethin' to write home about. It's a scene right out of the TV show "Happy Days."

I'd also miss the mountains surrounding our little town in the mountains of British Columbia. No flat horizons here.

I wish our local hospital hadn't suffered from our government's cutbacks. We have to travel for decent health care like operations and such...and our airport is too small for anything but charter flights. Those are huge drawbacks, I admit.

Is any place perfect?

Robyn said...

If I ever leave India, I would miss Mango's, Tata Sumo Victa's, and John's School.